Application for Admission
Thank you for your interest in the Kenneth P. Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences graduate programs! To apply for admission, select a department or complete the online application through the ApplyYourself Application Network.
Carefully read the application instructions which identify specific requirements for a particular degree program. Questions you may have can be answered by calling the contact listed under each graduate program.
Before selecting a department and completing the application, please read the information below. It is helpful to know that most Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences graduate programs require the following materials as part of the application process. Refer to your program for specific requirements.
- Completed application form
- Personal statement
- Transcript copies uploaded online
- GRE score (some departments may require a specific minimum score)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Non-U.S. citizens: TOEFL or IELTS scores
International graduate applicants must possess proficiency in English at a level to enable them to succeed in graduate-level studies. The University of Pittsburgh uses the official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as a measure of having the necessary English language proficiency. The Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences Graduate Studies requires a minimum TOEFL score of 90 (with at least a score of 22 in all of the four sections of speaking, listening, reading and writing); The Dietrich School requires a minimum IELTS of 7.0 (with at least 6.5 in each of its four sections)
Students with a TOEFL score of less than 100 on the internet-based test or less than 7.0 on the IELTS must verify English language proficiency prior to completing registration by sitting for an additional test of English Language Proficiency administered through the English Language Institute. Based on the test results, students may be required by their academic department or school to take a course in English as a second language as part of their graduate program.
- Non-U.S. citizens: International Graduate Student Supplemental Application Forms (submitted at the time of the departmental "recommendation for admission" to the Dean's Office)
- International Graduate Student Financial Information 2016-2017 (PDF)
- International Graduate Student Financial Information 2017-2018 (PDF)