From the Writing Institute
As an unsettling spring term is ending and we are nearing summer, are you starting to think about your writing goals?
The Writing Institute is offering free virtual writing days for graduate students on Fridays from May 8 through August 7. The days are designed to help writers feel a sense of community as we cope with current events and work in support of our professional goals.
Since we can’t offer an in-person Dissertation Camp this spring, we decided to offer this series of writing days and invite any graduate students who are working on independent writing projects this summer. So if you are working on a dissertation, project papers, an MFA manuscript, articles or papers for publication, or something else, and you would like to have some support and accountability, please join us.
- Our Friday writing days will include Zoom check ins, and you will be able to make an appointment to talk to someone about your process if you wish.
- In addition to the Friday writing days, we are setting up Teams for the group, so if you want to check in or out each day for some accountability for your writing time, you can.
- If there is interest, we will also offer online discussions of planning writing projects and overcoming resistance to writing.
The writing days will run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. our time. We understand that you may have other responsibilities right now or you may be in another time zone, so you are welcome to jump in at any point during the day. The days will be structured like this:
- 9:00 Meet, share goals for day, make a goal for next 2 hours
- 9:30-11:30 Writing time
- 11:30-noon Follow up on how the session went...goals for next writing block (after lunch)
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch or whatever takes you away from the screen
- 1:00-3:30 Writing time
- 3:30-4:00 Follow up conversation, resource and strategy share
Facilitators are available for individual consultations with you on your writing. These consultations will take place during the writing blocks. To arrange for this, contact us prior to the 9 a.m. start of the writing day to schedule a time.
If you want to participate in these writing days, please complete the registration form. We’ll be in touch with further details.